Tuesday 3 February 2015

Pistachio - Up-market in Durbanville


I recently went to eat at Pistachio in Durbanville.  This restaurant has been open for years and is one of the more "up-market" restaurants in Durbanville but has never seem to really shine.  I have been there a couple of times now but it has never been a restaurant that comes to the top of my list when looking for places to eat.  The only reason I had gone back was due to recently downloading "The Entertainer" app which provides a buy one get one free meal.

At about 16h30 I booked a table for three for 19h30.  When we arrived at Pistachio I informed the hostess that we were only going to be two people and she was more than happy to accommodate us. As you walk in the decor really looks good and has that modern fancy touch.  As we got to our table it had not been fully set up with not enough cutlery or any napkins; and we were placed right under the freezing air conditioner (the restaurant was not full at all).  We sat down and had to grin and bear the cold for a few minutes before we finally asked to be moved which seemed to be a bit of a problem in this empty restaurant.  Eventually we were moved to an unreserved table that was fully set up with the correct cutlery and, yes, napkins.
We then got a chance to look at the wine list which was quite a nice variety except that all the local Durbanville wines were marked up by more than the usual (this might be for the "fancy" status) and their house wines were wines from Stellenbosch which we ordered.  The wine was great!!


We then had a look at their menu and everything looks seriously good.  I was very impressed with their variety and choices for all types of food fanatics.  I decided to order the caesar salad with no anchovies and my partner ordered the beef burger that came with a fig or onion relish and cheese and a choice of starch (no choice was provided).  When the food arrived it looked great!  My salad came with no anchovies but also with no caesar dressing which made the salad extremely dry and not appetizing.  I asked for the dressing but they said it had anchovies in so they did not give it to me (fair enough) so I asked for it anyway.  When the smidgen of dressing arrived in a small shot glass there were no traces at all of any anchovies in it.  The burger arrived with wedges that had only been par-boiled and not even roasted.  You could barely put a fork in them as they were so hard and there was no sign of any fig or onion relish.  My partner did not eat the potatoes as she is banting but tried to give them feedback for people who will eat them and they barely even acknowledged her.


We did not order dessert and asked for the bill to get home.  Overall the experience was not bad but I would not rush back anytime soon.  For an up-market restaurant centered in a town with lots of better choices they need to lift their game a bit.


My overall rating: 2/5  

Pistachio Website

No comments:

Post a Comment